September 2023 – Dignity and Work and the Rights of Workers
In a marketplace where too often the quarterly bottom line takes precedence over the rights of workers, we believe that the economy must serve people, not the other way around. Work is more than a way to make a living; it is a form of continuing participation in God's creation. God our Father rested on the seventh day, after a week of creation. In the Gospels, Christ declares the sabbath was made for man, showing dignity to all hard workers.
Then he said to them, “The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath."
Loving God, Lord of the Sabbath, Master of the Vineyard,
As we seek to respond to this call of dignity and rights of workers, may our wills be aligned with Yours to promote an economy that protects human life, defends human rights, and advances the well-being of all.
- Give all who labor listening hearts that we may pause from our work to receive Your gift of rest.
- Make us attentive to those who seek work but cannot find it.
- Give us ears to listen to the struggles of those who work hard to provide for their families but still have trouble making ends meet.
- Help us raise families with gospel values in a culture where materialism, selfishness, and prejudice still shape so much of our lives.
- Empower workers to treat co-workers, customers, and competitors with respect and fairness, demonstrating economic initiative, and practicing justice.
- Increase integrity and excellence to public service and community responsibilities, seeking the common good, respecting human life, and promoting human dignity.
Help bring Christian values and virtues into the marketplace.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son, who lives and reigns with You in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for ever and ever. Amen.