July 2023 - Preferential Option for the Poor
A basic moral test is how our most vulnerable neighbors are faring. The Lord hears the cry of the poor, but do we always do the same? What the Gospels make clear is the absolute priority of "going forth from ourselves toward our brothers and sisters" as one of the two great commandments which ground every moral norm and as the clearest sign for discerning spiritual growth in response to God's completely free gift.
This poor one cried out and the LORD heard,
and from all his distress he saved him.
We proclaim Your greatness, O God,
Your praise ever in our mouth;
Every face brightened in Your light,
For You hear the cry of the poor.
- Hear our cry and help us in our tribulations
- Lead those in need to Catholic Charities for encouragement and help
- Inspire each of us in service to You and find delight in Your work
- Protect Catholic Charities and its team members from all manner of injury, illness and harm
- Reward with a long life all those who help us for the glory of Your name
The Lord hears the cry of the poor.
Blessed be the Lord. Amen.