Prayer and Relief for Turkey and Syria
A response in wake of the Kahramanmaras earthquake
God of hope and mercy, we lift up to you all victims of natural disasters and those responding with assistance and aid. Protect all who are in any form of danger; provide practical help to those in need; strengthen the weary, console the grieving, heal the suffering; and bless those engaged in disaster relief efforts with safety and courage. Help all people of good will respond with compassion and generous hearts. Amen.
On that day, as evening drew on, Jesus said to his disciples, “Let us cross to the other side.” Leaving the crowd, they took him with them in the boat just as he was. And other boats were with him. A violent squall came up and waves were breaking over the boat, so that it was already filling up. Jesus was in the stern, asleep on a cushion. They woke him and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?” He woke up, rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Quiet! Be still!” The wind ceased and there was great calm. Then he asked them, “Why are you terrified? Do you not yet have faith?” They were filled with great awe and said to one another, “Who then is this whom even wind and sea obey?”
Confident in God’s loving care, let us now lift up together the following needs, saying: “Let us cry for help.”
- For the consolation of all who have lost loved ones, livelihoods, homes, or property, we pray: Lord, hear our prayer.
- For the blessing of hope upon those devastated by shock, overwhelmed with grief, or paralyzed with fear, we pray: Lord, hear our prayer.
- For the relief of the poor, elderly, sick, and vulnerable, who typically suffer most in disasters, we pray: Lord, hear our prayer.
- For the encouragement, protection, and perseverance of all aid workers, we pray: Lord, hear our prayer.
- For an increase of generosity and solidarity with victims by all people of goodwill, we pray: Lord, hear our prayer.
If you’re moved to help those affected by the massive earthquake that’s affecting thousands in Turkey and Syria, Catholic Relief Services is providing practical relief in the area. Visit support.crs.org/donate/earthquakes.