August 2022 – Preferential Option for the Poor
One of the most distressing statements in Scripture is a promise from Jesus: “You will always have the poor among you.” And it’s easy to see He was right. Yet in the economy of heaven, is it possible that in welcoming the poor, we have an increased opportunity to welcome Jesus himself and receive his invitation to join him in his work? His heart clearly beats for those who have profound need, which at one time or another includes each of us. Let’s pray we will care for God’s children with the same passion He does – and remember our own position of humility.
Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me. Matthew 25:34
You are our perfect provision. In You there is no lack nor want. At times, we fail to see Your gracious generosity or the ways in which You call us to bless others. Remind us, Father, of Your desire that Your followers look for opportunity to benefit those who need something perhaps only we can provide. Bless us in the joy of serving You through serving Your children.
- Lead those in need to Catholic Charities for encouragement and help
- Liberate all of us from the grips of Covid, especially those without ready access to health care
- Remove confusion from those who struggle emotionally, blessing them with clarity of thought, worth and purpose
- Protect Catholic Charities and its team members from all manner of injury, illness and harm
- Inspire each of us in service to You and find delight in Your work
- Bless all who pray in Your Name with wisdom to seek You first above all things