August 2023 - Call to Family, Community and Participation
During summer when we’re traveling and enjoying outdoor fun, it's easy to get caught up in our own lives. Even in these busy months, may we find unity in purpose and an increased desire to invest our hearts into the lives of others. As the Epistle of James points out, our faith is dead if we ignore others in need.
What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?
If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well,” but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it?
So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
Almighty ever-living God,
We look toward the perfect unity of the Blessed Trinity as an example of unity for family and community to strive for. As we turn to You, renew us with confidence and compassion as we invest our hearts into Your people.
- Bless all family bonds as a proclamation of the Gospel
- Gather us together in solidarity with the poor, openness to a diversity of people, moral and material solidarity with other families, including those most in need
- Strengthen the bonds between spouses and between parents and children
- Bless our communities, places of work and families with divine protection from all manner of injury, illness and harm
- Guide those in distress to Catholic Charities and enable our teams to meet them in their need
- Increase the numbers of those united in the mission and service of Catholic Charities
- Cause us to be wise stewards of our resources, hearts and service
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God for ever and ever. Amen.