Challenges Center: New Castle
Services & Membership
Challenges Center at Shenley Square in New Castle is an innovative community facility offering a wide variety of educational, recreational and health-related activities to help support the independence of adults over 50 who live in Lawrence County. While many of the Center's offerings are free, others require membership and/or separate fees.
The facility is open Monday – Friday, 7:30 am to 4:30 pm, and is wheelchair accessible.
Free at the Center
- Art and Crafts classes
- Bingo and Cards
- Blood Pressure and Health Screenings
- Book Exchange
- Food-Fun-Fitness program
- Indoor Shuffle Board Court
- Lounge / Reading Room
- Recreation Room with Pool Table
- Spanish classes
- Walking Track (free only for ages 60+)
Membership or Separate Fees Required
- Computer classes
- Dining Room and Café Your Way
- Exercise sessions
- Fitness Room with state-of-the-art exercise equipment
- Line Dancing
- Tai Chi and Yoga
- Walking Track (free if under age 60)
- Other activities when announced—special dinner events, golf, bowling and day trips
Meals & Hours
- Free coffee and tea available all day.
- Continental Breakfast - Mon thru Fri, 8:30 am to 10 am
- Full Breakfast - Fri only, 8:30 am to 9:30 am
- Full Lunch - Mon thru Fri, 11:45 am
A nutritionally balanced hot meal served in a group setting. Reservations required 2 days in advance. Suggested donation: $3.00
- Lunch à la carte - Tues, Wed and Fri, 11:30 am to 1:00 pm
At the Center’s Café Your Way. Minimal cost per item. No reservations required.
Transportation to meals offered at the Challenges Center is available only for residents of Lawrence County ages 65 and older. For details, call Challenges at 724-658-3729.
2013 Membership and Other Fees
Purchasing a Basic or an Expanded membership offers additional privileges at the facility. Memberships are non-refundable. A membership is valid for one year from date of enrollment. Want to give a special gift to someone? Ask about our Gift Memberships.
Basic Membership - Includes exercise sessions, Yoga, Tai Chi, Line-Dancing classes, Walking Track.
Age 50–59 . . . .$70
Age 60+ . . . . . . $65
Expanded Membership - Includes all privileges of a Basic Membership PLUS use of the Fitness Room.
Age 50 - 59 . . . $175
Age 60+ . . . . . . $95
Computer Class Fees - Includes lab time and individual instruction.
$60 per 8-week course, for members and non-members
Challenges Center, New Castle
Shenley Square, 2706 Mercer Road, New Castle, PA 16105