HISTORY

1910 Three lawyers for the Society of St. Vincent de Paul founded the Conference of Catholic Charities that served as a clearinghouse for "all Catholic cases of relief and child placement." Struggling European immigrant families who came to our region arrived hungry, homeless and alone. Catholic Charities helped them with food, clothing, shelter and the skills necessary to begin a new life.
1920s During the Great Depression, the Conference of Catholic Charities was helping up to 1,000 people a day.
1930s Conference of Catholic Charities split into two organizations: Catholic Social Services of Allegheny County and Commission of Catholic Charities that served the remaining counties.
1940s Catholic Charities increased the professional criteria of the organization by hiring only trained college graduates with sociology degrees and establishing fellowships for students at University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Institute of Technology.
1950s All Catholic Charities offices are on the approved list of adoption agencies of the Pennsylvania Department of Welfare.
1960s Catholic Charities begins "War on Poverty" initiatives by establishing Head Start and Area Agency on Aging in Lawrence County, and Neighborhood-Based Services in Lawrenceville.
1970s Catholic Charities establishes outreach counseling programs in area parishes; launches Parish Social Ministry Program; takes over management of Roselia Manor, now Roselia Center; and establishes the Refugee Services Program.
1980s Agency is renamed Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Pittsburgh.
1990s St. Joseph House of Hospitality for Older Homeless Men becomes a subsidiary corporation of Catholic Charities, and in 2001, a program.
2000s Catholic Charities opens the Catholic Charities Free Health Care Center in 2007 in response to the growing need for health care for the uninsured in our area.

The Catholic Charities St. Joseph House of Hospitality, located in Pittsburgh, offers rooms, meals and supportive services to older men who are homeless or at risk for homelessness.

Just as Catholic Charities welcomed European immigrants when it was founded in 1910, it would establish a refugee resettlement program in 1975. Bishop Anthony Bevilacqua would welcome the first Amerasian families in 1985.

Catholic Charities' newest program—the Free Health Care Center—opened in 2007 in response to the growing need for health care for the uninsured in our area.

Today Catholic Charities continues the efforts of our founders in the Catholic tradition with compassionate service that empowers individuals, strengthens families, and builds better communities. Programs and services include:

  • emergency basic needs assistance to help with paying utility bills, food, clothing and furniture
  • health care for the uninsured
  • housing and homeless assistance
  • individual and family support including pregnancy and parenting, adoption and foster care, counseling and addiction treatment
  • refugee resettlement
  • support services and community centers for the elderly who are seeking to enhance their independence.

Catholic Charities, Diocese of Pittsburgh

212 Ninth Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Phone: 412-456-6999
info@ccpgh.org

Copyright 2010 Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Pittsburgh, Inc.